Anzac Day commemorations in 1916 commenced with a large number of children gathering at the Bell Memorial, at the northern end of Cunningham Street, Dalby.
At 2.30pm, Mayor W. Palmer formally named the reserve on which the gathering had congregated as "Anzac Place", and he expressed his great pleasure that one of Dalby's most prominent public spots should be so fittingly named in honour of our heroic soldiers (Note, Anzac Place is now known as Bell Park.).
After this ceremony, the children's procession started off down Cunningham Street towards the Recreation Reserve. There was a large attendance from both Dalby State School and St. Columba's school, with almost 400 children marching.
The procession was headed by the Dalby Town Band, various prominent citizens, and several soldiers on leave from camp.
Once at the Recreation Reserve, various speeches were delivered from the band stand, including a speech from Sergeant Burns, who had been wounded at Gallipoli, and had been sent from Brisbane for the occasion by the Anzac Commemoration Committee.
Restrictions on UseThis image is Out of Copyright. You are free to use this image without permission. Please attribute to Western Downs Regional Council.
Click on the image to add a tag or press ESC to cancel
Anzac Day march, Dalby, 1916 (25th April 1916). Picture Western Downs, accessed 21/03/2026, https://picturewesterndowns.recollectcms.com/nodes/view/862