Cafe Australia was opened in 1940 by Mr. J. Strategos, with his son-in-law Mr. George Calligero joining him in 1941.
At the time, the cafe in Cunningham Street was a model of ultra-modern restaurant architecture with pleasant interior and exterior decoration.
Mr. Strategos was the proprietor of the Cafe Majestic in the 1920s, then moved to Toowoomba before returning to Dalby to open the Cafe Australia.
Cafe Australia, Dalby, 1958