The first Miles Hospital was built by Mr. A. Barr, and opened in June 1913 after the community had been expressing their need for a hospital since 1878, and which became a vital necessity during the typhoid epidemic of 1915.
The hospital was funded by community members, who contributed money and time through working bees and donations of goods.
The first medical superintendent was Dr J. H. Crawford, who was employed at a salary of £180, with a right of private practice, and the first Matron was Miss H. Berry, who was employed at a salary of £75 a year and quarters.
The Miles Hospital was built for £1,191, and was a well planned wooden building with encircling wide verandas. The central portion contained two private wards, a surgery, and the matrons room off the main hall. Cross halls lead to the two end wards, male and female, each 22ft x 20 ft.
A special feature of the building was the use of reinforced fibro-cement sheeting to all walls, partitions, and ceilings.