In 1951, plans were made to construct a new high level bridge over the Condamine River, southwest of Dalby. It was to be a steel and concrete structure clear of all but exceptional floods.
In addition, plans were made to build a connecting road between the Warrego and Moonie Highways, so that the new bridge could serve all residents south of the river.
In January 1954, workmen set up camp to start construction of the new bridge, now commonly known as Loudoun Bridge.