Hannaford Provisional School (No. 1849) opened on 4 March 1929, with Miss Grace Mitchell appointed as teacher. The school committee had constructed a weatherboard building to act as a classroom, which could be added to if the opportunity arose.
The 10 acre school grounds were located on an iron bark ridge, which offered the potential for a sports ground. However, in August 1930, Miss Mitchell was transferred, and the school closed due to low attendance attributed to the extremely poor state of the Hannaford Road.
The school reopened on 17 March 1947 and became Hannaford State School in 1948.