The first Gurulmundi school building was built by the parents of the district in 1927 as the school was not classed as a State School.
The building was constructed from local cypress pine cut with an adze and broad axe. A toilet block was also constructed, and a small water tank provided for drinking water.
Gurulmundi Provisional School opened its doors on 27 February 1928. By 1931, numbers at the school had dropped and the school was at risk of closing. By 1936, the enrolments had increased to 22, and a newer larger school was recommended.
In 1941, the Dogwood State School building was moved to Gurulmundi to act as the second Gurulmundi Provisional School building. The defunct cypress pine building was purchased by a local farmer to be used as a laundry and storage shed.
The Gurulmundi Provisional School became Gurulmundi State School on 1 January 1944, however by 1950 enrolments had declined and the future of the school was again in doubt.
In the following years, the school was unable to maintain a sufficient enrolment and closed permanently on 10 May 1965.