Dalby War Memorial
The Dalby War Memorial was unveiled on 26 July 1922 by the Governor of Queensland, Sir Matthew Nathan.
The stone and bronze memorial honoured the 360 local men who served in WWI, including the 64 fallen. Funds for the erection of the memorial were raised by public subscriptions and functions arranged by a public committee.
The Dalby digger was based on a Sergeant-Major of the Grenadier Guards, and was modelled by British sculptors, John Whitehead and Sons, of London. It was one of only two known examples of their work in Queensland, as well as being one of only two bronze diggers in Queensland.
To ensure accuracy of dress, the modelling was supervised by an officer from Australian Army Headquarters and Australia House lent certain accoutrements for copying. The statue was cast at the foundry of A. B. Burton in London, whilst the stonework, including the pedestal and gate pillars, was produced by Harry Shill of Dalby.
The bronze plates bearing the names of the soldiers were created by Ernest Gunderson, who established his company in Brisbane after migrating from Norway. The company operated until the mid-1930s and supplied honour boards statewide. His work was distinctly original, often incorporating both Australian and British motifs.
The Dalby War Memorial and gates are located in Anzac Park which was gazetted in 1906. The memorial, gates and the setting are considered a complete entity in which each element complements the other.
The Dalby War Memorial and Gates were listed on the Queensland Heritage Register on 21 October 1992.




