Dalby State School (No. 0028) opened on 1 June 1861.
In 1869, the school split into Dalby Boys State School & Dalby Girls State School. In 1885, the girls' school became Dalby Girls & Infants State School.
In 1893, the two schools were combined again as Dalby State School. In 1914, the school expanded to include a secondary school, which closed in 1954 due to the establishment of Dalby State High School.
In 2017, Dalby State School suffered a serious fire which damaged a large portion of the school. Building works commenced soon after, and in 2019 the new building was opened.
The new block contained six classrooms, a music room, an instrumental practice room, a music storage room, an outdoor learning space, a staffroom, a conference room and several offices in the admin section.
The school continues to operate at 155 Cunningham Street, Dalby.