The first Dalby Post Office was built circa 1870, and was the first brick building in the main street.
When it was built, the Dalby Post Office was deemed one of the most modern in Queensland, outside of the metropolitan areas. It stood until 1952, when it was demolished to make way for the current Post Office, opened 1954.
In 1909, a fire in the neighbouring Council Chambers caused damage to the old post office, and resulted in badly scorched woodwork, broken windows, and damage to the tower.