Jubilee Sanatorium
HistoryThe Jubilee Sanitorium, on the outskirts of Dalby, was a purpose-built hospital for those suffering from tuberculosis. At the time, other names for tuberculosis were 'consumption' or 'phthisis'.
Named in honour of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, the 32 bed sanatorium was opened in October 1900. It was located where the Dalby State High School Residential College now stands.
In August 1901, Dr. Andrew Stewart provided a report on the first eight months of the hospital's operation. During that time, the total number of patients admitted was 50 (32 males & 18 females), of whom 7 had been transferred from Roma. As of 30 June 1901, 10 patients had been discharged 'cured', however these patients were required to communicate with the sanatorium quarterly for a year. The average length of residence for patients was 93 days. Only patients who were considered curable were accepted as patients to the Jubilee Sanatorium, however many others applied. Applications were sent by the prospective patient's doctor directly to the sanatorium's VMO, who would then decide if the patient was eligible for admission.
A newspaper article from 1906 described daily life at the Jubilee Sanitorium. The principal rules to be observed were sleeping & living entirely in the open air, eating plenty of good, wholesome food, of which milk & meat formed a large part, & taking mild exercise.
The daily program commenced at 5am when a half-pint cup of milk was brought to each patient's bedside. Milk was offered again at 10am, 3pm & 8pm, with each patient expected to drink at least three quarts of milk per day, along with eating as much meat as possible with every meal. It was considered that having a good appetite & eating well would ensure consistent weight gain, which was indicative of having a greater chance of being cured.
A patient's observations were taken twice a day, & many were dosed with cod liver oil along with medications. Each patient was examined twice weekly by the doctor & treatments adjusted accordingly. Exercise & recreation was encouraged with many playing the sanatorium's piano, reading books from the on-site library, walking, or playing croquet. Patients were not allowed to lie about on their beds during the day, unless extremely ill, & visits to town were not permitted.
Jubilee Sanatorium was situated on 400 acres, kept its own cows for milking, poultry for eggs & meat, & maintained a large vegetable garden. Rainwater was used for domestic purposes & bore water pumped by windmill was used elsewhere.
Communication with the outside world was achieved by means of the sanatorium's institution's buggy, which went into Dalby regularly to deliver and receive mail. Visitors were always welcome.
The Jubilee Sanitorium was considered one of the best of its kind in Australia. At its peak, the sanatorium had accommodation for 62 patients & employed a staff of 21, including nurses, maids & farm workers. On 29 December 1936, Jubilee Sanatorium was closed by the Qld Health Department.





