Dalby Bore Baths
In 1904, Joey Bell, the Member for Dalby, prevailed upon the Premier of Queensland to sink a bore down to the artesian basin. The bore was sunk to 2600 feet, and water flowed freely from the head. As it was warm, a shower bath was erected on the bank of Myall Creek.
The bore baths were surrounded by hessian cloth, however it wasn't long before a galvanised iron bath house was erected, containing two shower and two dressing rooms. A large iron tank formed the roof of the baths.
The Dalby Bore Baths were first leased to Mrs Morrow, who was popular among the bath patrons. She was succeeded by Mrs Stewart, an old Dalby resident, who was the first baby born in Dalby.
In the early days, the baths were a popular meeting place, where news of the day was discussed and many yarns were exchanged. In the mornings, the old and young attended in pyjamas, or brightly coloured kimonos, with bath towels over their shoulders and soap in hand.
A new modern building, which still stands, replaced the galvanised iron structure in the 1920s. In it were plunge baths and showers.
It was well known that the water in the bore had considerable curative properties, which was proved by many who had taken a course at the bore baths.
In time, homes were becoming more modern with in-built bathrooms, and through the 1930s attendance at the baths had dropped off.
The Dalby Bore Baths building still stands on Marble Street, and is currently used as a gallery.
Dalby Bore BathsBore BathsSwimming PoolsDalby



