Columboola Provisional School opened on 20 July 1896 with 20 students, and on 1 January 1909, the school became Columboola State School.
From 1942 through World War II, the school was closed so it could be used in connection with the ammunition storage facility on Cameby Downs, and the school buildings were relocated to Miles State School.
On 23 October 1954, Columboola State School reopened with a new building.
The school closed permanently on 28 April 1978. Since 1991, the school site has been used by the Columboola Environmental Education Centre.