Dalby South State School opened on 29 March 1965. The land on which the school was built had previously been used as a landing ground for aeroplanes. A decision was made to move the landing ground to the site of the present aerodrome, and the reserve was broken into lots and sold for development, with an area being set aside for a school in 1959.
Since opening in 1965, the school has continued to grow in size. Building additions began in 1972 with the opening of a second wing. A separate library was opened in 1976, the preschool in 1985, and a special education unit in 1986. In 2006 a separate administration block was built.
The school continues to operate at the corner of Owen & Bunya Streets, Dalby.