Built in 1914 by the Smokeless Coal Syndicate, and operated by the Warra Coal Company, the Warra Coal Mine was sold to the Queensland Government in 1915.
The coal was used for the western line steam locomotives, as the coal was considered to be the cleanest on the Darling Downs at the time, and the coaling of engines at Warra would result in a large reduction in operating expenses.
In 1915, the mine was producing 120 tons weekly, which could be loaded directly into the engines at the pithead. However, due to water seepage into the mine, it was closed in 1919 with significant financial losses.
By the time the mine closed, the mine had yielded a total of 13,528 tons of coal.
There is a monument outside the Warra township to identify this important local history venture.